- Gardens: Research local gardens that have walking trails. This could include butterfly gardens, botanical gardens or monuments. Take a note pad to write down notes on your favorite part or what fascinated you the most.
- Walking/Nature Trails: There are many trails that have been mapped out for us. These could include walking, biking or driving, and most have no entry fees. Some may be a short drive away but are great for walking off some extra energy and enjoying the sights and sounds of nature. Rails to Trails or Conservation areas are available and will lead you to areas you might not otherwise go.
- Springs/Swimming areas: Check out any local watering holes that permit swimming, kayaking, or tubing. Splash pads or water parks are also available in many areas. Most of these have little or small entry fees per vehicle or per pedestrian, but they allow for hours of fun cooling off time.
- Museums: If you live in an area that specializes in a certain industry, look for museums that share the history of that industry. For example, on the Space Coast, we have an Air and Space Museum. Museums sometimes operate on donations, so this is a great way to get the kids involved in giving back to their community.
- Farmers or Flea Markets: These are great to stroll through and shop from local food sources and vendors. Fresh produce is always a treat in the summer and can help get everyone involved in cooking. Flea Market finds are usually low cost and encourage creativity.
- Movies/Bowling: Many local movie theaters and bowling venues offer discount events for families over the summer. These are great rainy-day ideas when the weather turns rough or the heat is too intense. Bowling alleys typically require a preregistration, but it is easy to sign up for. Movie theaters typically have a particular day and time for free or discounted movie viewing times.
Discounts. Don’t be afraid to ask for state “Resident” discounts or military discounts. Often there are discounts available when you ask. I have also included a few links below as helpful resources. Enjoy your family time together and make some awesome memories!